Post the tragic death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, we have seen Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut openly alleging filmmakers and producers of Sushant’s suicide, calling them “Bollywood Mafias”. As she claims to uphold the banner against nepotism, we have a number of celebrities joining her and opening up about their experiences in Bollywood with an air of nepotism. Here’s a list of those celebs.
- Abhinav Kashyap- Anurag Kashyap’s brother opened up about Salman Khan and his family ruining his career. In an interview, he alleged Salman Khan, Sohail Khan, Abbas Khan and Salim Khan of sabotaging his career. In a Facebook post, he revealed how talent management agencies can ruin lives. He revealed how during the release of his film Besharam, Salman Khan and his family got the PROs to run a sustained negative campaign against him such that it scared away the sponsors and even when Abhinav Kashyap alongwith Reliance Entertainment went on with the release, the trolling and the badmouthing didn’t stop till the film failed on the box office.
- Ranbir Shorey- Revealing the fact that false rumours were spread about him, he said that after giving a number of breakthrough performances, he was isolated in the industry and went through trauma.
- Kangana Ranaut- She revealed that the ‘suicide gang’ had told her that she’ll be driven to killing herself as well. She reported Javed Akhtar telling her to apologize to the Roshans if she wanted to not commit suicide. He reported insult and abuse by Mahesh Bhatt and Aditya Chopra when she refused their movies and also claimed that news agencies maligned her image with false rumours against her.
- AR Rahman- This Oscar-winning music producer unravelled as to why was he doing less Bollywood projects and accused a “gang” of spreading rumours that are stopping him from bagging Bollywood movies. He told Radio Mirchi of a gang who, due to misunderstandings, was spreading false rumours.
- Raveena Tandon-In an interview with the Hindustan Times, she claimed that she had been through such phases where gangs and “mean girl groups” planned someone’s failure and worked towards causing the down of a person and removing them from movies. She said that these people made the industry toxic and favouritism definitely prevails.
- Resul Pookutty-This oscar winner claimed that Bollywood didn’t give him work post his winning the Oscar and caused him a near breakdown.
- Tigmanshu Dhulia-This man who had remarkable performances in some benchmark movies revealed to the Hindustan Times about two groups in Bollywood that made money but did nothing to develop the Hindi cinema.
Other than these, a number of celebrities like Amit Sadh, Sonu Nigam, Sona Mohapatra, Ram Sampath, Madhur Bhandarkar, Md. Zeeshan Ayyub, Manoj Bajpayee, Govinda, Adhyayan Suman, Upen Patel, Shreyas Talpade and Divya Dutta also revealed their experiences with groups and gangs of Bollywood.
Mahila Maha Vidhyalaya, Banaras Hindu University
A student of English Hons. at BHU, Manosrija is a passionate writer with a writer’s page on Instagram (@manosrija_04) and a YourQuote profile (That Girl). She is a sincere reader and is interested in poetry, fiction and politics.