Corona virus is a looming threat for all right now. The pandemic is filling up hospital wards and quarantine centres are overflowing with unattended patients. In such a situation it is very important to know how to self treat and care for yourself to ensure safety of everyone.
The possible symptoms include sore throat, runny nose, fever, shortness of breath, lethargy, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea and body ache.
The symptoms are not often immediately visible. In many cases, it is also asymptomatic. Hence, do not wait for symptoms to emerge. Implement precautionary methods immediately. Better safe than sorry right?
#1 Self Quarantine.
This pandemic can be defeated only by caring about others as much as yourself. Hence the first step to avoid further possible spread of the disease is to immediately go under 14 days self quarantine. If you stay alone, then no one must be allowed to enter our place. If not, make sure you are confined to your room.
Points to remember in self quarantine.
- Self quarantine must include using separate utensils that must be quarantined with the person and not mixed with other utensils.
- Using separate washroom or any toiletries.
- Clothes, bed sheets or curtains of the room where the person is quarantined in must be washed and sanitized separately from other members’ personal articles.
- Absolutely no physical contact with the probable carrier. Supply food or necessities out the door of the room from where he himself can collect it.
#2 Get tested if you have any doubts.
The testing rate in India is impressive, considering the population, but not enough. And that could lead to higher spread of the disease. If you have even the slimmest doubt that you have contracted the disease, get tested.
If the results are negative it is still advisable to complete your 14 days quarantine as the germs can be active up to 14 days even if you have not contracted the disease.
If you are tested positive;
- The disease has no vaccine or medicine hence in the form of medicine the only thing one can do is take in fever alleviating medicine
- Drink a lot of fluids, preferably warm.
- Gargle with warm water.
- Keep yourself moving or else the muscle ache and lethargy can take over your body.
- If your symptoms are mild, home care is enough.
- If breathing problem increases, you can order in oxygen cylinders.
- If the condition worsens and gets severe, hospitalization would provide best care.
#3 Recovery period and further precaution
Mild cases take up to 3 weeks of recovery period.
Slightly severe cases can take up to 4-5 months.
Worst hit patients might take 9-10 months of complete recovery.
Even after one is free of the virus, the weakness and side effects like loss of appetite can stay behind for long.
Can a recovered patient contract the disease again?
Although hopefully the recovered the patient contains the corona virus anti virus which will prevent from re infection, it is not yet medically proven. Although most do not contract the disease again, the weakness and majorly hit immunity can make the person susceptible to other diseases.
In very few cases, patients have re contracted the disease which is worse than the initial infection.
People all across the world are taking steps to prevent the corona virus spread but more awareness is required.
In addition to masks, gloves and sanitization, another thing to focus on is strengthening immunity. For example, lemon in warm water every morning will provide one with necessary nutrients like Vitamin C for stronger immunity.