On April 14, on the last day of the 21-days lockdown, the Prime Minister of India Mr Narendra Modi addressed the general public at 10 a.m. as promised. Due to the global pandemic caused by COVID-19, several nations are in complete or partial lockdown to control the spread of the coronavirus. Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi had announced a complete lockdown of the nation starting from March 25, 2020. In his speech today, he congratulated all the countrymen for their collective bravery in facing the coronavirus and extended the lockdown further till May 3, 2020, after a thorough discussion with all the states.
Few experts from his speech are
- The complete lockdown has been extended till May 3 which is a Sunday. All citizens are expected to be as disciplined as they have been until then.
- All states, districts and localities would be closely monitored till April 20 with respect to their strictness of application of norms. States that would be successful in controlling the number of hotspots will be allowed to resume essential activities but with certain conditions.
- The government will present extensive guidelines on the lockdown, on Wednesday.
- Modi expressed his regards to the countrymen who have worked like disciplined soldiers in spite of difficulties during this lockdown.
- India has been able to contain the ill-effects and spread of coronavirus.
- Nations that were equal to India with respect to coronavirus before the lockdown have been 25-30% more cases than India. This is solely due to the lockdown.
- The PM conveyed his wished good health to all the people of the states who have started their new year today and are celebrating it amidst the lockdown.
- Even when India didn’t have a single COVID-19 patient, the screening of passengers from affected countries had started.
- Had India not adopted the integrated holistic approach and not taken an immediate decision, the situation would have been different. Observations and results show that India is on the right path.
- India has gained the profits of lockdown and social distancing. Though it has paid economic cost for it, it’s nothing before the lives of Indians.
- Daily wage labourers are a part of his family as well and it is a priority to reduce their problems.
Before this address, 7 states i.e. Odisha, Maharashtra, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, West Bengal and Mizoram had extended lockdown in their respective states till April 31, 2020.