Imitation is the greatest form of flattery and some Bollywood movies might have taken it way too seriously. Below is the list of Bollywood movies that was remade or based on Western works.
Nevertheless, this does not make the movies any less enjoyable and you must binge-watch them on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+Hotstar.
- Andhadhun- This 2018 mystery comedy which is a great concoction for thrill is a jewel in Indian cinemas. Starring Ayushmann Khurrana, Tabu and Radhika Apte this move was a huge success and a whopping 456 crore at the box office. This movie might have won our hearts but it is originally based on a Fresh short film ‘The Piano Turner’. Director Sriram Raghavan has to seek rights before making the movie.
- Dil Bechara- The 2020 movie that released on 24th July is an adaptation of ‘Fault in our Stars’ by Josh Boone. The Hollywood movie itself was based on the bestselling novel by John Green of the same name. The last movie of Sushant Singh Rajput, it is a must-watch in Disney+Hotstar.
- Bharat- While most adapted Bollywood movies are from the west, this movie takes its inspiration from a Korean movie ‘An Ode to my Father’. While the original movie is based on the Korean history of partition, Bharat is based on Indian partition and a family which gets broken during the division and travelling. The 2018 movie stars Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif.
- Kaante- This 2002 movie stars all the greatest actors, from Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt to Suneil Shetty and Lucky Ali. It is a known fact that Sanjay Gupta’s movies inspired from ‘Reservoir Dogs’ by Quentin Tarantino. In fact, Tarantino himself accepted that of all of the movie adaptations of his work, Kaante is his personal favourite.
- Badla- Starring an actor like Amitabh Bachchan and Tapsee Pannu and not letting one get overshadowed by other is a skill that can be harnessed through great scriptwriting and acting. The movie is an adaptation of a Spanish film, The Invisible Guest and it has hit the right spots. From the eerie, chilling edge of the seat thrill to the gloom portraying upcoming danger, this movie was hit. The adaptation is amazing and has captured every essence of the original.
- Bang Bang- The Indian adaptation of Knight and Day, an action-comedy that was released in 2014. The original movie was released in 2010 and gained an appreciation for the Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz pair. In the Indian version of it, the roles are bagged by Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif. Hrithik Roshan is an international thief on run.
- The Body- Although this movie did not fare as well as the original Spanish thriller it is adapted from, it did star Rishi Kapoor and Emraan Hashmi. Directed by Jeethu Joseph, this 2019 movie is pretty interesting. The original movie also has the same title. Rishi Kapoor plays the role of a police inspector in search of a dead body.
Other than these popular movies, there are also movies like We are Family, Notebook, Satte pe Satta and Baazigar which have foreign roots. Bollywood adaptation of Girl on the Train is underway with the lead played by Parineeeti Chopra.