Netflix is an ocean of movies and shows. This lockdown has let us spend enough time home and probably most of us are confused by now as to what to watch next? As we know, Netflix brings in big directors occasionally to create Netflix originals, many of which have made their way to the Oscars but it also provides equal numbers of smaller stories for medium-sized screens. So here’s a list of shows that can help you decide what to watch as you binge tonight.
- Marriage Story- All of us are quite acquainted with the happy love stories that end in marriages. However, how common is a divorce story? Probably this is the first time you’re going to witness the sometimes happy and sometimes sad story of a couple who go through logistically and emotionally complicated legal processes to bring their partnership to an end. This movie combines emotional complexity and painful situations with poignantly funny moments and keeps you hooked to the storyline as Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver give the best performances of their career.
- Okja– A combination of surreal environmental thriller and cheeky dark comedy, this 2017 movie from the director of Parasite, Bong Joon-ho, trails the story of a farmer girl from South Korea who pets a genetically modelled super-pig, Okja. However, Okja becomes a target for a big corporation that trades in meat. This sweet film will keep you enchanted until it reveals the distressing picture of the meat industry.
- I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore– Had a bad day and need something humane and emotional? This movie that shows the daily mannerisms of the general public before the story escalates to dark places with occasional dark humour, is perfect for you. The story revolves around a nursing assistant Ruth and her strange neighbour Tony who decide to handle matters themselves when the police refuse to help them in a case of robbery. This 96-minute movie will leave you surprisingly emotional.
- Uncut Gems– Netflix, This supposedly Oscar-worthy movie of Adam Sandler is the story of a diamond jeweller who is addicted to gambling. This movie will take you on a frantic and anxious dash across New York City as Howard Ratner of Sandler must retrieve an expensive opal to pay off Sandler’s debts. Though Adam wasn’t nominated for the Oscar, his performance in this film was truly remarkable.
- The Platform- Looking for some impressive international movies? This Spanish science fiction and horror movie is essentially a social commentary that shows us the story of a tower that delivers food to people at each level of the tower via a platform. The people at the top get the best and the most abundant spread as it’s devoured when the platform is lowered from level to level with those at the lowest stage getting almost nothing.
Some other movies that you can binge-watch are- Beasts of No Nation, The Irishman and Annihilation.
Which one did you love the most? Tell us in the comments below.