Breaking her silence on Sushant Singh Rajput’s suicide, actress Rhea Chakraborty urges the Union Home Minister Amit Shah to initiate a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) probe into the matter as she wanted to understand as to why did Sushant take such a grave step.
Actress Rhea Chakraborty, the girlfriend of the late Bollywood star Sushant Singh Rajput had been receiving death and rape threats from unknown accounts on social media. She revealed screenshots of death and rape threat messages that she had been receiving since a month and breaking her silence on this issue she had posted saying “enough is enough”.
On June 14, 2020, the famous Bollywood star Sushant Singh Rajput had committed suicide by hanging at his apartment in Mumbai. Since then, several people involved with the late actor were called for interrogation by the Mumbai police. This group included the actor’s ex-girlfriend and several other filmmakers and actors of Bollywood. Rhea Chakraborty has also given her statement with the police and she had taken to Twitter to request with “folded hands” to the Home Minister of India, Mr Amit Shah “to initiate a CBI enquiry into this matter” as it was more than a month into the incident without any proper conclusion.
Recently the number of rape and death threats that people randomly give others (especially women) have increased rapidly in India. The slow legal procedures in these incidents give these people the courage to harass and threaten anyone on a public platform. Recently an Instagram user with the username “BadassShubham” had been arrested for giving open rape and molestation threats to a female comedian on social media. Yet it seems, the slow-paced justice delivery makes potential molesters and abusers, more confident that they would never actually get caught or simply be ignored.
However, with Rhea, the case was different. After the virtual altercation, on July 16, Rhea visited the Santacruz police station on Saturday evening and registered a written complaint against two unknown Instagram accounts for sending her obscene messages and threats. Post the death of Sushant Singh Rajput, there was a flood of mental health discussions on social media and soon after people started trolling targeted celebrities of Bollywood. Fans of Sushant Singh Rajput had alleged Rhea of using Sushant and several netizens blamed her for Sushant’s death.
The deputy commissioner of police (zone IX), Abhishek Deshmukh said, “On a complaint of Rhea Chakraborty, an offence is registered at Santacruz police station against two Instagram account holders for sending obscene messages and threatening her.” Sources from the Santacruz police reported, “We have written a letter to Instagram and sought details of the Instagram user who sent her the obscene messages and threat.”
A minister of Maharashtra with respect to the death and rape threats received by Rhea said, “Strict action will be taken.” The death of Sushant had struck up several controversies of Nepotism in the industry and several Bollywood celebs have been trolled on Twitter and Instagram, just a few days after people started discussing mental health on social media.
Let’s hope the law takes its course!